Monday, February 22, 2010

"To be or not to be"

When I started analyzing the “to be or not to be” speech for the paper, I noticed many interesting lines that seem to connect to other parts of the play. For one, his words made his later harsh words to Ophelia clearer. For example, when Hamlet brings up the “pangs of despised love,” it is almost as if Hamlet is remembering this misery from past experience. When I first read the soliloquy, I thought that Hamlet was simply listing troubles in life, and those troubles were generalized to everyone. However, Hamlet, with his mention of love, seems to be truly about Ophelia’s earlier rejection. Thus, when he says “I did love you once,” Hamlet rejects Ophelia because he can no longer take all that pain. Similarly, when Hamlet mentions the “patient merit of th’ unworthy,” he describes the rejection and denial that he feels. This rejection and denial also seems to be a product of his mother’s betrayal. Later in the play, Hamlet talks rudely towards his mother, and all his resentment is expressed in this speech. Considering all his relationships with women, it isn’t surprising that Hamlet feels so hopeless and life and is considering committing suicide.

Another thing that I found interesting was the references to suicide. While I vaguely knew that the speech was about suicide, I didn’t find all the specific hints that Shakespeare placed in the speech. For example, he includes “mortal coil.” While it could be clutter/fuss (as my footnotes say), I realized that it also alludes to a coil of rope. Thus, the mortal coil is subtle imagery for hanging oneself, especially since the coil is mortal. Still, the “mortal coil” could also point to Hamlet’s wanting to end Claudius’s life because. Another instance of suicide imagery is when he discusses the “bare bodkin.” A bodkin, a tool like a dagger, was especially used as a means of suicide in the ancient times. Therefore, there are many indications that Hamlet wants to commit suicide.

While reading the speech, I also wondered why he always equated sleep with death. This metaphor reveals much about Hamlet’s attitude towards death. I think that sleep is a supposedly peaceful time, and Hamlet now thinks of death as a way to bring peace. It is debatable, however, whether or not the death of Hamlet or the death of Claudius will bring peace. In the end, it seems as if both deaths bring the peace. Finally, I saw a fascinating connection when Hamlet says, “sicklied o’er with the pale cast.” This line connects to disease and sickness. In fact, it shows why Hamlet progressively becomes mad throughout the play. It is all the pains of being alive that make Hamlet go crazy. Although Hamlet is partly aware of his madness, his miserable thoughts in this speech and the other speech show that not of all his madness is feigned.

Analyzing his speech has been challenging especially since I feel like Hamlet is very repetitive. However, when I read it over again, I realize that each line adds new meaning. It is especially difficult to analyze because there are so many potential meanings in his speech.

No comments:

Post a Comment